Saturday, February 8, 2014

February 8th, 2014 College Outing



For the College Outing, I was in a group with Rebecca, Shield, Lydia, and Ello. First we were invited to Paula Vazquez for lunch. The house was beautifully decorated in a typical Mexican way. There, I eventually got to eat the real Mexican food, not the TexMexican. (but the funny thing was that my housemate was going to cook the real Mexican food for dinner tonight) After having lunch, we sat in a circle and started reading today's portion of ministry message which is about the God of Issac. One third of us couldn't speak English, so a bilingual sister translated after we read one or two sentences. 

I enjoyed this: In Abraham we can see God's purpose and God's demand, but we have to go beyond that. We just can't stay there because we need God's power to be up to His expectations. In Issac, we see God's power which is actually His life within us, enabling us to reach the goal. According to Genesis, Issac didn't do anything but just enjoy and receive what his father had. When we enjoy the Lord, we are infused with Himself; the life in us grows. And that life only can do something for God's purpose. 

We moved to the other home, Bergeleens' for dessert. We were talking about some random things like Jewish education and tiger mother, eating brownies with Bluebell ice cream. Introducing myself to the family, I added, "I'm studying education, and that's why I read the book which was written by a tiger mother." While people were cracking a laugh, a sister looked at me and asked if I'm the one who lives with B and C. I said yes and she said that she is the one that was talking with me on the phone about my field project which is going to be at Josline elementary school. She is teaching kids there. I was so surprised at this Lord's sovereign arrangement because I really needed to meet her to set up time for the volunteering work. I was kind of concerned about that because I didn't want to bother someone whom I've not met face to face, calling and texting. I think she recognized me because I mentioned my major. 

We continued reading the rest part of the message. I appreciated seeing the picture from the God of Abraham, the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob that first we need to know Christ and second we know ourselves to accomplish His goal. It could be paraphrased like this, we have confidence in Christ, but we lose our own confidence. 

It was such a sweet house to house time. 
Can't wait to receive the pictures taken by Lydia.  

No comments:

Post a Comment