Thursday, February 20, 2014

An Ordinary Sort of Morning

Writing Project2 - Descriptive Writing Assignment for Writing7 


An Ordinary Sort of Morning

            Hearing the soft sound of my alarm, rather than becoming alert, I feel like I’m a burnt piece of toast stuck in a broken pop-up toaster. All over my sore body, which suffers from on-going muscle pain because of the weight training class I’m taking this semester, lies a huge and thick blanket. Between opening my eyes and actually getting out of the bed is usually a five-minute gap, because it surely takes some time to escape from the toaster, tightly tying down my body. Well, I get over it anyway pretty much every day. I pick up the edge of the forest green colored blanket and pull it over all the way up to the half of a mint green pillow. The next thing I do is dampening the hard and dry toast with not-too-hot water in order to make it a little moist. Then, I’m ready to go get my breakfast.
            I come across a big dining table to get to the kitchen where a chubby refrigerator is full of food and leftovers. On the kitchen table is a dark chocolate wooden basket with bananas, oranges, and apples in it, reminding me of a typical still-life painting by one of the finest artists. When I’m about to reach one of the bananas there, Camila, in her casual but supremely neat clothes, shows up saying “good morning!” with a wide smile. I love her good-morning. It is bright and has vibrant rhythms, but they become slow like “good moooourning.” when I step out of my room around nine o’ clock in the morning, implying that I am supposed to get up far earlier than that.
            While waiting for my cut-in-half bagel to become crispy and get lightly browned, a few pieces of bacon is sizzling on Camila’s pan. Suddenly, the air is filled with the nice nutty smell of sputtering bacon and the delectable smell of a freshly toasted bagel. After cracking two eggs into the other pan, she starts singing hymns very softly but in a way that I can tell she was a music major. Then, I hum the same tune. Once I start singing to myself, she follows my melody. It’s quite amazing how well we can communicate with each other with the songs that we know. Language barriers don’t exist there.
As I take a bite of my evenly cream-cheesed bagel, I check the temperature reading the thermometer hanging on the 200-year-old oak tree standing in the backyard garden. Through a wide French window by the counter I can see most of the garden. Birds are gathering as a group right behind the window. I think their twittering sounds peaceful, but then I hear a rattle. Immediately, the birds fly with flaps. Here is Bill striding out from the garden with a handful of spinach in his left hand and a funny-looking carrot in his right, which has already a bite taken out of it. The garden is called Bill’s garden; gardening is mostly his job along with accounting. He now sits down on his own designated spot that is the crimson, old-fashioned sofa and places his big, black laptop over lap to work.

            The biggest clock in the house strikes with a muffled sound telling me it’s eight sharp. I’m ready to leave for the campus after pouring water into my coffee-colored, stainless steel water bottle. I pass through the work room to go out where a sewing machine has just begun to make regular beats. Sometimes I can’t believe that Camila, who starts working long before even I open a book, is in her mid seventies. Behind her stands me hesitating to say good-bye, a little bit afraid that I might bother her. She notices me, grins broadly, and recites a verse that she has been enjoying this morning in a pleasant, silvery voice. I repeat after her and say, “See you later!” Energized and charged, the one who is leaving the house is not a burnt piece of toast anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment